Social media rumours trigger mob violence in Bengal
"Since last 10 days, certain images like slit throat were shared on WhatsApp along with the rumours of miscreants associated with kidney theft roaming around. Mograhat, Diamond Harbour and Falta are worst affected," the officer in charge told IANS. With the efforts of the police, the local bodies and administrative officials, the situation was "now a little better," he said.
"The investigation is on and one man who circulated the message has been traced. He is being interrogated, but arrest of actual culprits will take time. We just feared a communal violence breaking out due to the rumours," he said. On Saturday Suman Das, a hawker from Odisha, was killed by a mob in Mograhat as people took him to be a child kidnapper. Twelve people have been arrested in this connection.
- Arrested former officials appear in Pretoria Commercial Crimes Court
- PIL seeking Election Commission officials to supervise internal polls, dismissed by court
- India, New Zealand vow to improve ties after meeting between top officials
- India, Nepal officials to discuss bilateral issues to reduce trade deficit
- Japanese delegation meets Telangana officials to discuss waste incineration plant