Left Menu
Development News Edition

US urges increased caution for Americans visiting Hong Kong

PTI | Hong Kong | Updated: 08-08-2019 15:08 IST | Created: 08-08-2019 15:08 IST
US urges increased caution for Americans visiting Hong Kong

Hong Kong, Aug 8 (AP) The US government on Thursday stepped up its warnings to travelers to Hong Kong because of increasing violence surrounding pro-democracy protests in the Chinese city. The State Department's Level 2 travel advisory issued Thursday urges "increased caution in Hong Kong due to civil unrest" and tells travellers to avoid demonstrations and to "exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests."

The protests were sparked two months ago by proposed extradition legislation that could have seen suspects sent to mainland China, where protesters say they could face torture and unfair politicized trials. They have since morphed into calls for broader democratic reforms in the former British colony, along with the resignation of Chief Executive Carrie Lam and investigations into alleged police abuse of force.

The territory's crucial travel industry has suffered as tourists put off their visits, with Australia, Ireland, Britain and Japan having also issued travel advisories to their citizens. Hong Kong police say a total of 589 people have been arrested in the protests since June 9, ranging in age from 13 to 76. They face charges including rioting, which allows for prison terms of up to 10 years.

Police have fired tear gas, rubber bullets and other projectiles at protesters, with demonstrators responding with metal sticks, bricks, gasoline bombs and carts full of burning debris. On several occasions, protesters have been attacked by unknown people believed to be linked to organized crime groups, while police took little action to stop them.

The central government in Beijing so far has not visibly intervened in the situation, though in editorials and public remarks it has condemned demonstrators and protest organisers as criminals, clowns and "violent radicals" and alleged that they have been inflamed by politicians from the US, Taiwan and elsewhere. On Wednesday, the head of Beijing's Cabinet office responsible for the territory said Hong Kong was facing its "most severe situation" since its handover from British rule in 1997 and the central government was currently considering further measures.

Hong Kong was returned to China under the framework of "one country, two systems," which promised the city political, civil and economic freedoms not allowed under Communist Party rule on the mainland. However, many Hong Kong residents feel Beijing has been increasingly encroaching on their freedoms.

Pro-democracy protesters said Thursday they plan to hold a demonstration at Hong Kong's international airport over the weekend, along with marches elsewhere in the territory. A protest spokesman who goes by only his surname, Chan, to avoid identification by authorities said such actions will continue until Lam addresses the movement's demands, something she has adamantly refused to do thus far.

"The only way to regain the public's trust in the government and the Hong Kong police force is by properly, directly and conscientiously addressing the five demands," Chan said at a news conference where movement representatives wore helmets and face masks to conceal their features. "The Hong Kong government's attempts to achieve the impossible, by trying to exhaust the inexhaustible, will not prevail," he said. "In our struggle for autonomy, democracy and the rule of law, we will continue to fight until the end."

A police spokesman said no application for a protest at the airport had been received and urged any participants to remain peaceful. Also Thursday, the Chinese foreign ministry's office in Hong Kong issued a formal protest over a reported meeting between US consular officials in the city and opposition figures, including prominent activist Joshua Wong.

The statement demanded the US explain the purpose of the meeting and "immediately cease interfering in Hong Kong affairs." Wong was released in June after serving a two-month sentence for contempt related to his involvement in 2014 protests advocating a more democratic electoral process known as the Umbrella Movement. (AP) SCY

SCY


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

Post-COVID-19 Nigeria needs a robust Health Management Information System to handle high disease burden

Nigeria is among a few countries that conceptualised a health management information system HMIS in the early 90s but implementation has been a challenge till date. Besides COVID-19, the country has a huge burden of communicable and non-com...

Morocco COVID-19 response: A fragile health system and the deteriorating situation

Learning from its European neighbors, Morocco imposed drastic measures from the initial stages of the COVID-19 outbreak to try to contain its spread. The strategy worked for a few months but the cases have surged after mid-June. In this sit...

COVID-19: Argentina’s health system inefficiencies exaggerate flaws of health information system

You can recover from a drop in the GDP, but you cant recover from death, was the straightforward mindset of Argentinas President Alberto Fernndez and defined the countrys response to COVID-19. The South American nation imposed a strict...

Rwanda’s COVID-19 response commendable but health information system needs improvement

Rwanda is consistently working to improve its health information system from many years. However, it is primarily dependent on the collection and reporting of health data on a monthly basis. Besides, evaluation studies on Rwandas HIS publis...

Videos

Latest News

‘Things have to change’ Canada’s Trudeau declares amid COVID-19 pandemic

The world is in crisis, and not just because of the last few months. Not just because of COVID-19. But because of the last few decades. And because of us, he said in a pre-recorded speech for the gathering. Mr. Trudeau recalled that follo...

Peru to further open economy in October as coronavirus cases drop

Peru will push forward with a gradual reopening of its economy in October, allowing international flights to countries in the region and more people into its restaurants and stores, the government said on Friday, provided coronavirus cases ...

INSTANT VIEW-Reaction to Trump plan to pick Amy Coney Barrett for Supreme Court

President Donald Trump on Saturday will name conservative federal appeals court judge Amy Coney Barrett to fill the vacancy on the U.S. Supreme Court following the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, two sources said on Friday. Following ...

FACTBOX-Notable legal opinions of Trump's planned U.S. Supreme Court pick Barrett

Amy Coney Barrett, who President Donald Trump plans to pick for a lifetime job on the U.S. Supreme Court, has served as a federal appeals court judge since 2017 and has weighed in on cases involving several hot-button issues including abort...

Give Feedback