Emergency crews scrambling to rescue people stranded in US hurricane
The drama was unfolding in the riverfront town of New Bern, which was hit by a huge storm surge as the sprawling Category 1 hurricane came close to making landfall.
Video footage showed parking lots in New Bern turned into shallow lakes of dirty gray water as heavy rain fell.
Two rescue teams from the federal disaster relief agency FEMA were on the job and others were on the way.
"Currently ~150 awaiting rescue in New Bern," City Hall said on Twitter.
"WE ARE COMING TO GET YOU. You may need to move up to the second story, or to your attic, but WE ARE COMING TO GET YOU," it added.
- Acting AG Whitaker to testify before House panel on Friday after subpoena threat
- UPDATE 1-Acting U.S. Attorney Gen Whitaker to testify before House panel on Friday
- The Last Kingdom Season 4 to show Uhtred in 50s based on Bernard Cornwell’s books
- As Friday deadline nears top democrats, republicans to meet on border security
- Amit Shah to visit Odisha Friday