Tragic Deaths from Drainage Gas in Pudunagar: Three Generations Lost

A 60-year-old woman, her daughter, and her granddaughter tragically died in Pudunagar after inhaling poisonous gas from an underground drainage system. They collapsed in their home's toilet and were declared dead at a hospital. Chief Minister N Rangasamy announced a Rs 20 lakh compensation for their next of kin and ordered an investigation.


PTI | Puducherry | Updated: 12-06-2024 00:33 IST | Created: 12-06-2024 00:33 IST
Tragic Deaths from Drainage Gas in Pudunagar: Three Generations Lost
AI Generated Representative Image
  • Country:
  • India

In a grave tragedy that struck Pudunagar, a 60-year-old woman, her daughter, and her granddaughter lost their lives after inhaling poisonous gas being emitted from an underground drainage system. The incident reportedly took place in the family's home when Senthamarai, the elderly woman, collapsed upon entering the toilet.

Her daughter Kamatchi, who rushed to help her mother, also fell victim to the toxic fumes. The unfortunate chain of events continued as the granddaughter, Baghyalakshmi, entered the toilet to check on her family members and collapsed as well. Despite neighbors' efforts to rush them to a hospital, doctors declared them dead on arrival, attributing their deaths to inhalation of poisonous gas.

Authorities responded swiftly, with police and fire service personnel advising nearby residents to evacuate their homes due to the hazardous underground drainage system. Chief Minister N Rangasamy has announced a Rs 20 lakh compensation for the family and ordered an immediate inquiry into the incident to prevent future occurrences.

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Give Feedback