Prime Minister Modi saddened by George Fernandes passing away
Frank and fearless, forthright and farsighted, he made a valuable contribution to our country.
The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has expressed condolences on the passing away of Mr George Fernandes.
The Prime Minister said, "George Sahab represented the best of India's political leadership.
Frank and fearless, forthright and farsighted, he made a valuable contribution to our country. He was among the most effective voices for the rights of the poor and marginalised.
Saddened by his passing away.
When we think of Mr George Fernandes, we remember most notably the fiery trade union leader who fought for justice, the leader who could humble the mightiest of politicians at the hustings, a visionary Railway Minister and a great Defence Minister who made India safe and strong.
During his long years in public life, George Sahab never deviated from his political ideology. He resisted the Emergency tooth and nail. His simplicity and humility were noteworthy. My thoughts are with his family, friends and lakhs of people grieving. May his soul rest in peace."
(With Inputs from PIB)
- Where's justice? Property worth over Rs 13k cr attached, says fugitive Mallya
- UPDATE 1-Backstop is only solution to Irish border issue - German justice minister
- Less than 2 per cent hike in budgetary allocation for Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry
- Won't accept border in normal sense: German justice minister
- NDPP takes firm stance against corruption, says time for justice to win