Left Menu
Development News Edition

Trump administration halts cruises to Cuba under new rules

PTI | Washington DC | Updated: 05-06-2019 11:18 IST | Created: 05-06-2019 10:40 IST
Trump administration halts cruises to Cuba under new rules
Image Credit: Wikimedia

The Trump administration on Tuesday ended the most popular forms of US travel to Cuba, banning cruise ships and a heavily used category of educational travel in an attempt to cut off cash to the island's communist government. Cruise travel from the US to Cuba began in May 2016 during President Barack Obama's opening with the island.

It has become the most popular form of US leisure travel to the island, bringing 142,721 people in the first four months of the year, a more than 300% increase over the same period last year. For travellers confused about the thicket of federal regulations governing travel to Cuba, cruises offered a simple, one-stop, guaranteed-legal way to travel. That now appears to be over.

"Cruise ships, as well as recreational and pleasure vessels, are prohibited from departing the U.S. on temporary sojourn to Cuba effective tomorrow," the Commerce Department said in a statement to The Associated Press. The new restrictions are part of a broader effort by the administration of President Donald Trump to roll back the Obama-era efforts to restore normal relations between the United States and Cuba, which drew sharp criticism from the more hardline elements of the Cuban-American community and their allies in Congress.

Treasury said the sanctions would take effect on Wednesday after they are published in the Federal Register. US national security adviser John Bolton, who declared Cuba part of a "troika of tyranny " along with Nicaragua and Venezuela as he outlined plans for sanctions in November, said the new policy is intended to deny the Cuban government a vital source of revenue.

"The Administration has advanced the President's Cuba policy by ending 'veiled tourism' to Cuba and imposing restrictions on vessels," Bolton said on Twitter. "We will continue to take actions to restrict the Cuban regime's access to U.S. dollars." The Cuban government imposed food rationing last month as a result of tightened U.S. sanctions and a drop in subsidized oil and other aid from Venezuela. For the Cuban government, cruise travel generated many millions of dollars a year in docking fees and payments for on-shore excursions, although those figures were never made public. Cuba also has become the most-requested destination for many South Florida-based cruise lines.

"The Trump administration deserves tremendous credit for holding accountable the Cuban regime," Florida Republican Sen Marco Rubio said. "The United States must use all tools available under U.S. law to counter the Cuban regime's deceitful activities to undermine U.S. policy."

The new restrictions take effect Wednesday, but the government said it will allow anyone who has already paid for the trip to go ahead with it. But the process of going forward for passengers isn't clear.


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

Pandemic must be impetus, not obstacle, for clean water access

To make matters worse, there are suspicions that the inadequacy of wastewater treatment methods in California, the rest of the USA, and indeed around the world may help to propagate the disease even more widely. ...

3D printing and the future of manufacturing post COVID-19

The on-demand, customizable, and localized manufacturing of product components facilitated by 3D printing has the potential to redefine manufacturing but there are certain technical, mechanical, and legal limitations that, unless ...

How UK’s 'best prepared' healthcare system failed to gauge COVID-19

The UK is proud of their public health system and its unlike any other country as around 90 percent of British public supports the founding principles of National Health Service. But without accurate data being available to stakeholders in ...

Poor on IHR capacity progress in 2019, WHO says Cambodia tops COVID-19 response

Despite being in proximity to Hubei, the original epicenter of COVID-19 pandemic, Cambodia has reported just 226 confirmed cases and zero deaths. After seeing the data, WHO appreciated Cambodias healthcare information system but experts dou...

Videos

Latest News

J-K LG approves grant of 'special move TA' of Rs 25,000 to employees irrespective of actual movement

Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir Manoj Sinha on Saturday approved a grant of special move travelling allowance TA of Rs 25,000 to all employees irrespective of actual movement as a special case this year. Rohit Kansal, Jammu and Kas...

Deion Sanders takes aim at players who opt-out

Pro Football Hall of Fame cornerback and current NFL Network analyst Deion Sanders has taken issue with players who elect to opt-out on their respective upcoming seasons due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus pandemic. All Players OPTI...

Sixers' Simmons to have surgery on left knee

Philadelphia 76ers All-Star Ben Simmons will have potentially season-ending surgery on his left knee, the team announced Saturday. The 24-year-old guardforward will leave the NBA bubble near Orlando for the procedure. A timetable for his re...

Soccer-Juventus hand Pirlo his first manager's role

Serie A champions Juventus stunned Italian football on Saturday by naming World Cup-winning midfielder Andrea Pirlo as manager on a two-year contract even though their former player has no previous experience in the role.Pirlo, 41, was prom...

Give Feedback