Left Menu
Development News Edition

UPDATE 3-Petrobras, Brazil government dodge bullet as Supreme Court approves asset sales

Reuters | Updated: 07-06-2019 05:52 IST | Created: 07-06-2019 05:52 IST
UPDATE 3-Petrobras, Brazil government dodge bullet as Supreme Court approves asset sales
Brazil's Supreme Court ruled on Thursday that state-run firms do not need congressional approval to sell their subsidiaries, a major victory for the government of President Jair Bolsonaro and state-run oil firm Petrobras. Also on Thursday, Supreme Court Justice Edson Fachin, who ruled in May to suspend the $8.6 billion sale of Petrobras' TAG pipeline unit to France's Engie SA, reversed his decision in light of the full court's ruling, allowing Petroleo Brasileiro SA, as the firm is formally known, to go ahead with the divestment.

The decisions will allow Petrobras to proceed with its plan to divest $27 billion of non-core assets by 2023, which it has repeatedly said is key to reducing its bloated debt load. The ruling was also a positive for other state-run firms such as power company Centrais Eletricas Brasileiras SA , or Eletrobras, which is also eyeing divestments.

Plans to privatize state firms are central to Bolsonaro's economic proposals as he aims to kick-start the country's flagging economy. Paulo Guedes, the economy minister, has said the government could raise some 1 trillion reais ($258 billion) through privatizations. In a surprise ruling last month, Fachin suspended the TAG sale after a lawsuit by a union, arguing that divestments of subsidiaries by state-run firms required congressional approval. That requirement could have effectively brought such sales to a crawl.

His decision was based on a separate 2018 decision by another justice. The case raised questions about the clarity of Brazil's judicial framework. Brazil's slightly lower Supreme Judicial Court and the nation's solicitor general had approved the sale before the May ruling. Brazil's antitrust regulator had signed off on the deal as well.

By the time the deal was suspended, Engie had already raised $3 billion for the acquisition. ($1 = 3.88 reais) (Reporting by Ricardo Brito; Writing by Gram Slattery; Editing by James Dalgleish and Peter Cooney)


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

3D printing and the future of manufacturing post COVID-19

The on-demand, customizable, and localized manufacturing of product components facilitated by 3D printing has the potential to redefine manufacturing but there are certain technical, mechanical, and legal limitations that, unless ...

How UK’s 'best prepared' healthcare system failed to gauge COVID-19

The UK is proud of their public health system and its unlike any other country as around 90 percent of British public supports the founding principles of National Health Service. But without accurate data being available to stakeholders in ...

Poor on IHR capacity progress in 2019, WHO says Cambodia tops COVID-19 response

Despite being in proximity to Hubei, the original epicenter of COVID-19 pandemic, Cambodia has reported just 226 confirmed cases and zero deaths. After seeing the data, WHO appreciated Cambodias healthcare information system but experts dou...

Loopholes in Healthcare Information System may have failed Singapore COVID-19 model

In the initial days of the COVID-19 outbreak, Singapore was in the limelight for its effective healthcare system and pandemic response plan. However, Singapore has now joined the list of the worst-hit nations and the situation is even worse...

Videos

Latest News

Mexico's Oaxaca state bans sale of junk food to children

The southern Mexican state of Oaxaca banned the sale, distribution and advertising of junk food and sugary drinks to children on Wednesday, becoming the nations first state to do so.Members of Oaxacas congress broke into applause after appr...

$50 million for further rural broadband digital connectivity allocated

50 million for further rural broadband digital connectivity has been allocated from the 3 billion infrastructure fund in the COVID Response and Recovery Fund has been announced by Shane Jones, Minister for Infrastructure and Kris Faafoi, Mi...

Metropolitan Museum of Art cuts 350 staff amid coronavirus outbreak

New Yorks Metropolitan Museum of Art is cutting a further 353 staff as the coronavirus pandemic takes its toll on museums around the world due to restrictions on movement and concerns about public gatherings.The reduction will come through ...

WHO says N.Korea's COVID-19 test results for first suspected case 'inconclusive'

North Koreas test results for a man suspected of being the countrys first coronavirus case were inconclusive, though authorities have quarantined more than 3,635 primary and secondary contacts, a World Health Organization official told Reut...

Give Feedback