Left Menu
Development News Edition

Italy's virus cases more than quadruple as cluster emerges

PTI | Codogno | Updated: 22-02-2020 04:44 IST | Created: 22-02-2020 02:28 IST
Italy's virus cases more than quadruple as cluster emerges
Representative image Image Credit: ANI

The number of people in Italy infected with the new virus from China more than quadrupled Friday due to an emerging cluster of cases in the country's north that prompted officials to order schools, restaurants, and businesses to close. Many of the 14 new cases represented the first infections in Italy acquired through secondary contagion and brought the country's total to 17.

The cluster was located in a handful of tiny towns southeast of Milan in the Lombardy region, said Lombardy regional health chief Giulio Gallera. "This was foreseeable even if we hoped it wouldn't have happened," Gallera said.

The first to fall ill was a 38-year-old Italian who met with someone who had returned from China on January 21 without presenting any symptoms of the new virus, health authorities said. That person was being kept in isolation and appears to present antibodies to the virus. The 38-year-old is now hospitalized in critical condition. His wife and a friend of his, who was a member of his running club, also tested positive for the virus.

Three patients at the hospital in Codogno where he went with flu-like symptoms on February 18 also have infections, as do five nurses and doctors. In addition, another three elderly people, who frequented the same cafe as the runner's father, also tested positive Friday, Gallera said.

Tests were under way, meanwhile, on the 38-year-old's doctor, who made a house call on him, as well as on 120 people he worked with in the research and development branch of Unilever in Casalpusterlengo, Gallera said. Word of the contagion sparked fears throughout the region, particularly given the closure of the emergency room at the Codogno hospital.

"We are old and we are very concerned," said 76-year-old Codogno resident Carmelo Falcone. "I live on my own. I really don't know what to do." Italian Health Minister Roberto Speranza said Italy is now seeing the same sort of "cluster" of cases that Germany and France have seen.

He signed an ordinance with Lombardy's regional president outlining measures to contain the cluster to the 10 towns so far affected: Codogno, Castiglione d'Adda, Casalpusterlengo, Maleo, Fombio, Bertonico, Castelgerundo, Terranova dei Passerini, Somaglia and San Fiorano. The towns, which have between 1,000-15,000 residents each, are located around 60 kilometers (37 miles) southeast of Milan, Lombardy's capital and Italy's business center.

The ordinance suspends public gatherings, commercial and business activity, sport, education, and other recreational activities throughout the region, Speranza, the health minister, said. He defended the precautionary measures Italy took previously, noting that Italy remains the lone European country to have barred flights to and from China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan.

"We had the highest measures in Europe," he said. The health ministry ordered anyone who came into direct contact with the victims to be quarantined for 14 days. And it recommended others in the region stay home.

Italy's civil protection agency, meanwhile, was working to identify military buildings, hotels or other structures that could serve as isolation wards if necessary. "In other parts of the world, and also in China, it has been demonstrated that this system (of self-isolation) helps in a substantial way to block the spread," Lombardy regional president Attilio Fontana said. "But we must not let ourselves be overcome by panic."

The Codogno hospital closed its emergency room, and staff was seen wearing masks as movers brought in new beds and furniture as the quarantine got under way. Rome's infectious disease hospital is currently caring for three other people who were infected weeks ago, including a Chinese couple from hard-hit Wuhan and an Italian who is now testing "persistently negative" for the virus after two weeks of anti-viral treatment.

Despite the calls for safeguards, Italians were having a hard time finding protective face masks. A sampling of Milan pharmacies reported selling out weeks ago, as did a pharmacist in Codogno who said Italy had been sending masks to China for weeks.


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

New farm bills in India: Focusing on farms or farmers?

... ...

Kenya’s COVID-19 response: Chaos amid lack of information

Confusing numbers and scanty information on how effective curfews and lockdowns have been in breaking transmission have amplified coordination and planning challenges in Kenyas response to COVID-19. Without accurate data, it is impossible t...

Farkhad Akhmedov: Calculating the price of impunity from the law

In insistences such as the battle over the Luna, Akhmedov has resorted to extreme legal machinations to subvert the High Courts decision and keep his assets from being seized. ...

Guinea’s elections hearken back to the autocracy and violence of its past

... ...

Videos

Latest News

Mexico reports 4,360 new coronavirus cases, 181 more deaths

Mexicos health ministry reported on Sunday 4,360 additional cases of the novel coronavirus and 181 more deaths in the country, bringing the official number of cases to 891,160 and the death toll to 88,924.Health officials have said the real...

Australia says invasive search of women at Qatar airport referred to police

An incident at Doha airport in which Australian women were subjected to an invasive search on the tarmac after the discovery of an abandoned newborn baby in the terminal has been referred to Australian federal police, Australia said. Women ...

Singapore temporarily halts use of two flu vaccines after S.Korea deaths

Singapore has temporarily halted the use of two influenza vaccines as a precaution after some people who received them in South Korea died, becoming among the first countries to publicly announce a halt of the vaccines usage. South Korea re...

Golf-Back nine charge powers Cantlay to Zozo Championship win

American Patrick Cantlay staged a back nine charge to speed past world number two Jon Rahm and number three Justin Thomas to claim a one shot win at the Zozo Championship in Thousand Oaks, California on Sunday. Cantlay, who began the day th...

Give Feedback