Left Menu
Development News Edition

UPDATE 3-Ex-Trump ally Bolton says Twitter account 'liberated' from White House control

Reuters | Washington DC | Updated: 23-11-2019 05:37 IST | Created: 23-11-2019 05:35 IST
UPDATE 3-Ex-Trump ally Bolton says Twitter account 'liberated' from White House control
Image Credit: Flickr

U.S. President Donald Trump's former national security adviser John Bolton said on Friday that Twitter Inc had returned control of his personal account to him after it had been taken over by the White House. "We have now liberated the Twitter account, previously suppressed unfairly in the aftermath of my resignation as National Security Advisor," Bolton told his more than 790,000 followers in his first tweets since resigning in September.

"In full disclosure, the @WhiteHouse never returned access to my Twitter account. Thank you to @twitter for standing by their community standards and rightfully returning control of my account," he wrote. Bolton did not explain how the White House had blocked his access to the account, but asked in the post if it had been done "out of fear of what I may say?"

Later on Friday, Bolton told reporters at the Union Station in Washington: "We have regained control of the Twitter account. Twitter detached the White House." A senior administration official told Reuters the White House did not block Bolton from the account "and wouldn't have the technical means to do so."

Twitter declined to comment. Bolton's return to the platform comes at a sensitive time for the Republican administration. Bolton is among various U.S. officials described as being alarmed at Trump's controversial use of his personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani on Ukraine policy, which is under intense scrutiny in a Democratic-led impeachment inquiry.

Former White House Russia expert Fiona Hill recalled in her testimony at public impeachment hearings on Thursday that Bolton had called Giuliani "a hand grenade who's going to blow everybody up." Asked if he was prepared to testify at the impeachment hearings, Bolton said: "I have no comment."

Like other White House officials, Bolton was required to relinquish control of his private Twitter account, including the password, to the White House when he became national security adviser in March 2018, said two people familiar with the matter. Both spoke on condition of anonymity. One of the people, who is close to Bolton, said that several days after Bolton resigned on Sept. 10, the White House was asked to return control of the account.

When no action was taken, according to this person, the request was elevated to John Eisenberg, the top National Security Council lawyer, who responded that the issue was being worked on. Eventually, with the White House continuing to take no action, Twitter was asked to recover control of the account for Bolton and it did so earlier this week, the person said.

The National Security Council did not immediately reply to a request for Eisenberg to comment.


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

Uganda COVID-19 response: Was off to a good start but reopening dwindled prospects

Uganda has shown success in using health information to enhance efficiency of disease surveillance, reporting and monitoring. The success, however, has critical challenges confronting it as the country resumes normal activities....

New farm bills in India: Focusing on farms or farmers?

... ...

Kenya’s COVID-19 response: Chaos amid lack of information

Confusing numbers and scanty information on how effective curfews and lockdowns have been in breaking transmission have amplified coordination and planning challenges in Kenyas response to COVID-19. Without accurate data, it is impossible t...

Farkhad Akhmedov: Calculating the price of impunity from the law

In insistences such as the battle over the Luna, Akhmedov has resorted to extreme legal machinations to subvert the High Courts decision and keep his assets from being seized. ...

Videos

Latest News

Italy posts daily record of over 31,000 new coronavirus cases

Italy has registered 31,084 new coronavirus infections over the past 24 hours, the health ministry said on Friday, its highest daily tally since the start of the epidemic and up from the previous record of 26,831 posted on Thursday.The mini...

Police overpower man threatening officers with knives in Paris - police source

Police overpowered a man in the French capital Paris on Friday when he threatened officers with two knives after they challenged him, a police source said.The officers intervened after police received a call reporting that a man armed with ...

Observers' no to repolling in 71 seats of Bihar assembly

Observers have not recommended repolling in any of the 71 seats that went to polls in the first phase of the Bihar assembly elections on October 28, an Election Commission statement said on Friday. State Chief Electoral Officer CEO H R Srin...

Mumbai airport handles over 18 lakh passengers through 24,036 flights between Jun, Sept

Mumbais Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport CSMIA handled over 18 lakh passengers, including international passengers under the Vande Bharat Mission and private charters, through 24,036 flights operated between June and Septem...

Give Feedback