Left Menu
Development News Edition

OPEC+ likely to agree to cut production if U.S. joins effort - sources

Reuters | Updated: 07-04-2020 02:34 IST | Created: 07-04-2020 02:34 IST
OPEC+ likely to agree to cut production if U.S. joins effort - sources

Major oil producers including Saudi Arabia and Russia are likely to agree to cut production at a Thursday meeting but only if the United States joins the effort, aimed at coping with the disastrous effect of the coronavirus on fuel demand, three OPEC+ sources told Reuters on Monday.

Worldwide oil demand has dropped by roughly 30%, or about 30 million barrels a day, at the same time that Saudi Arabia and Russia have been flooding markets with extra supply. Last week, in response to a weeks-long market rout, the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and its allies including Russia, a group known as OPEC+, started talking about cutting production, but want other non-OPEC nations to participate, particularly the United States.

“Without the U.S., no deal,” one of the sources said. Two OPEC+ sources said Thursday's meeting would be held by video conference at 1400 GMT.

The United States has not committed to taking part in any deal, which U.S. President Donald Trump has said could take 10% to 15% of world supply off the market. U.S. companies cannot coordinate production due to antitrust laws. The White House has said it was encouraging talks between the other countries, instead. Major U.S. oil companies and industry groups are opposed to mandated cuts, which would be an extraordinary step in the United States.

On Friday, G20 energy ministers and members of some other international organisations will hold their own video conference, hosted by Saudi Arabia, a senior Russian source told Reuters. Efforts to get the United States involved in the production cut deal will be on the agenda, the source said. Russia and Saudi Arabia have long been frustrated that curbs by OPEC+ and others have left a gap that has been filled by shale oil firms in the United States, which became the world's biggest producer.

That frustration led in part to March's collapse of an OPEC+ supply deal that has propped up oil prices for three years. U.S. Energy Secretary Dan Brouillette said on Fox Business Network on Monday that U.S. production was already starting to fall due to the plunge in crude prices.

"In the United States we have a free market and the industry will adjust on its own," he said. U.S. Energy Department officials did not respond immediately to a request for comment. Following the collapse of the OPEC+ deal, Riyadh and Moscow blamed each other and launched a battle for market share, sending oil prices to their lowest in two decades. That has strained the budgets of oil-producing nations and hit higher-cost producers in the United States.

Scrambling to secure a bigger market share, Saudi Arabia raised crude output to 12.3 million barrels per day (bpd) on April 1 and said it planned to export more than 10 million bpd. With by far the world's biggest reserve of extra capacity, Riyadh has insisted it will no longer carry what it considers an unfair burden of cuts. ANTITRUST ISSUES

While antitrust laws prohibit U.S. oil producers from taking steps to push up oil prices, curbing output would be legal if state regulators or the federal government set lower production levels, antitrust experts said. The U.S. authorities have yet to indicate what, if any, action they might take.

Last week, Russian President Vladimir Putin said OPEC+ cuts could amount to around 10 million bpd, or some 10% of global output. Russian production reached 11.29 million bpd in March. A Russian government and an industry source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said 10% might not be enough to steady the global oil market given the weakness of demand.

"I think the whole market understands that this deal is important and it will bring lots of stability, so much important stability to the market, and we are very close," Kirill Dmitriev, one of Moscow's top oil negotiators, who also heads Russian's sovereign wealth fund, told CNBC. Dmitriev was the first to make a public declaration last month about the need for an enlarged supply pact, potentially involving producers outside the OPEC+ group.

The Russian energy ministry did not respond to a request for comment. (Additional reporting by Olesya Astakhova and Vladimir Soldatkin in Moscow, Dmitry Zhdannikov and Ahmad Ghaddar in London and Tim Gardner in Washington; writing by David Gaffen; Editing by Sonya Hepinstall)


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

Indigenous knowledge of communities a must for maximizing impact of community work

Generally, it has been observed that the majority of the academicians in higher education institutions neglect the wisdom of community people and throw their weight around thinking that they know everything and the community knows nothing. ...

In rebuking FBR, Pakistan’s courts take a stand for public health

The system, if implemented effectively, will allow Pakistans revenue service to combat the illicit trade in tobacco products and potentially add hundreds of millions of dollars to the states budget each year. ...

Dissecting how COVID-19 is catalyzing the trajectory of New World Order

The ensuing pandemic of COVID-19 has hit the globalization in two ways firstly, shrinking the importance of globalization as an economic force by curtailing mobility through worldwide lockdowns, and secondly, rejuvenating the idea of indig...

Domestic seafood trade in focus as COVID-19 changes market dynamics

As predicted earlier in a report titled Seafood industry post-COVID 19 An overhaul to trigger the growth of small fisheries, one of the changes going ahead would be increased focus on domestic seafood trade, driven by falling exports and su...

Videos

Latest News

Child labour, marriages on rise in Yemen as COVID spreads-UN agency

The U.N. refugee agency said on Tuesday its work in Yemen was near a potential breaking point as coronavirus spreads in the war-damaged country, with rising numbers of families resorting to begging, child labour and marrying of children. Ar...

McIlroy hopes Ryder Cup will be moved to 2021

Rory McIlroy believes the Ryder Cup will be moved back to 2021 under pressure from players to not lose the unique atmosphere of the biennial event behind closed doors. The coronavirus pandemic has wreaked havoc on the golfing calendar with ...

Pakistan's COVID-19 tally stands at 58,278 with 1,202 deaths

Pakistans tally of COVID-19 infection on Tuesday reached 58,278 cases including 1,202 deaths, the countrys health ministry said. As per the tally cited by Geo News, 23,507 cases have been detected in Sindh, 20,654 in Punjab, 8,080 in Khyber...

'Virus-free' Montenegro to open borders, but not to Serbia

Montenegro, the first European country to declare itself free of the coronavirus infection, plans to open its borders to citizens of several European countries except for former ally Serbia drawing angry reaction from Serbian officials Tue...

Give Feedback