Delhi High Court Transfers UPSC Aspirants' Deaths Investigation to CBI: Students Respond

The Delhi High Court transferred the investigation of three UPSC aspirants' deaths in Rajinder Nagar to the CBI. Students expressed mixed reactions, with some welcoming the decision while others demanded a Judicial Magistrate inquiry. The case involves serious incidents and potential corruption by public servants.


Devdiscourse News Desk | Updated: 02-08-2024 22:46 IST | Created: 02-08-2024 22:46 IST
Delhi High Court Transfers UPSC Aspirants' Deaths Investigation to CBI: Students Respond
Aspirants (Photo/ANI) . Image Credit: ANI
  • Country:
  • India

The Delhi High Court on Friday transferred the investigation into the deaths of three UPSC aspirants in Rajinder Nagar to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). This decision was met with mixed reactions from students, with some welcoming it and others calling for a Judicial Magistrate inquiry.

Speaking with ANI, one aspirant said, 'We welcome this decision. High Court is taking cognizance of our matter and CBI has handed over the probe. But our concern is that had a few things been implemented beforehand, this incident would not have occurred. It is good that CBI will investigate it, and we will extend all our cooperation. The main demand is that we have no data on the students who were in the library and later brought out. So, that information should be disclosed on media and social media.'

Another aspirant emphasized, 'Students had been demanding since the incident that the proper facts be brought before the students. But the administration has neither said anything nor presented any documents. Students had demanded a Judicial Magistrate inquiry. If CBI inquiry happens we will be assured that we will get to know the facts.'

Advocate Rudra Vikram Singh, the petitioner in the matter, said, 'The decision is not just the first step towards justice for the three innocent deceased but a plan was also made for the revamping of Delhi's infrastructure, law and order, and irregularities in arrangements. It has been ensured that no such incident occurs in future and no innocent lives are lost.'

The Delhi High Court directed the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) to nominate a senior officer to oversee the CBI probe into the deaths of the Civil Services aspirants. Meanwhile, the protests outside the coaching institutes in Delhi's Rajinder Nagar continued for the sixth day on Friday after the three UPSC aspirants lost their lives in a flooding incident at an IAS coaching centre.

The students have been protesting since July 27. On Thursday, Delhi Mayor Shelly Oberoi ordered officials to set up four libraries in memory of the three deceased UPSC aspirants who lost their lives in the Rajinder Nagar basement flood incident earlier on July 27. Mayor Oberoi stated that, as per the proposed plan, four public libraries may be established by the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) in Rajinder Nagar, Mukherjee Nagar, Patel Nagar, and Ber Sarai.

(With inputs from agencies.)

Give Feedback