Christchurch death toll rises to 51 as one more dies in hospitalDevdiscourse News Desk | Christchurch | Updated: 03-05-2019 06:36 IST | Created: 03-05-2019 06:15 IST
The death toll in the terror attacks at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, rose to 51 on Thursday after a Turkish man injured during the shooting died in the hospital, police said. The 46-year-old man had been in a critical condition since March 15. His name has not been revealed at the request of his family, reported CNN.
"My heartfelt condolences go to the family and community of this man who has died overnight in Christchurch hospital," New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said in a statement on Friday (local time). "This sad news will be felt across Turkey, as well as New Zealand." He was the last person still in intensive care following the attack. Nine others who were shot remain in hospital in a stable condition, she added.
Turkey's Minister of Foreign Affairs Mevlut Cavusoglu identified the deceased on Twitter, writing, "Unfortunately we have lost our citizen Zekeriya Tuyan, who was injured seriously in the treacherous terrorist attack in New Zealand," reported The New York Times. On March 15, Brenton Tarrant, a 28-year-old suspected white supremacist from Australia, stormed into two mosques during congregational prayers and indiscriminately opened fire on the assembled, as per the police.