The US will send a carrier strike group to the Eastern Mediterranean in support of Israel
The Pentagon has ordered the Ford carrier strike group to sail to the Eastern Mediterranean to be ready to assist Israel, two US officials said on Sunday.The USS Gerald R. At least 600 people have reportedly been killed in Israel and more than 300 have been killed in Gaza as Israeli airstrikes pound the territory.The Norfolk, Virginia-based carrier was already in the Mediterranean.
- Country:
- United States
The Pentagon has ordered the Ford carrier strike group to sail to the Eastern Mediterranean to be ready to assist Israel, two US officials said on Sunday.
The USS Gerald R. Ford and its approximately 5,000 sailors and deck of warplanes will be accompanied by cruisers and destroyers in a show of force that is meant to be ready to respond to anything, from possibly interdicting additional weapons from reaching Hamas and conducting surveillance.
Hamas launched its unprecedented incursion out of Gaza on Saturday. At least 600 people have reportedly been killed in Israel and more than 300 have been killed in Gaza as Israeli airstrikes pound the territory.
The Norfolk, Virginia-based carrier was already in the Mediterranean. Last week it was conducting naval exercises with Italy in the Ionian Sea. It's the United States newest and most advanced aircraft carrier and this is its first full deployment.
The officials were not authorized to publicly discuss the matter before the Defense Department's announcement and spoke on condition of anonymity.
ALSO READ
-
UN council urged to use 'every means at its disposal' to press Hamas to disarm
-
Marking its 20-year legacy, Star Health launches 'Value Plus' affordable health insurance with nearly 20% lower premiums
-
Udan Yatri Cafe to be started in all airports to provide affordable eatables to everyone: Civil Aviation Minister K Rammohan Naidu.
-
Board of Peace will ask UNSC to press Hamas to disarm
-
TrumpRx Expands: Over 600 Affordable Generics Added to Government Website
Google News